Jahkim McGhee
Jahkim McGhee
After a three-year investigation by Port Chester detectives and Westchester County police, a village man is accused of murdering his neighbor in 2011 while he was sleeping.

Jahkim McGhee, of 544 Locust Ave., is charged with multiple felony counts relating to the death of Anthony Guglielmo on Sept. 11, 2011 at his home on Mortimer Street.

"First and foremost, we hope that this indictment brings some degree of closure to the family and friends of the victim Anthony Guglielmo. We cannot imagine how difficult the last three years must

have been for them," Port Chester Police Chief Richard Conway said in a written statement.

In 2011, Guglielmo's 14-year-old daughter, Nicole, called the police at 5:25 a. m. to report a burglary and that her father had been stabbed. By the time Emergency Medical Services and police arrived at 235 Mortimer St., they found the 54-year-old man lying dead on the floor of the living room in a massive pool of blood.

More than three years after Guglielmo was pronounced dead at the scene from the stab wound in his chest, Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore announced that a four-count indictment was unsealed on Thursday, Oct. 23 against McGhee.

Conway said his detectives closed the cold case and tied the murder to McGhee after an in-depth investigation. "There was physical evidence," the chief said. "There

were tips from the public and information gained from interviews."

He also said that a fingerprint found at the murder scene helped connect McGhee to the case.

A written confession

Port Chester detectives interviewed McGhee over the summer in an upstate prison where he was being held on an unrelated charge.

McGhee told Port Chester detectives he left his home

around 1:30 a. m. on Sept. 11, 2011 to buy drugs. After buying and snorting cocaine at Columbus Park, he got drunk on cognac and rum. "I started thinking about the fact that I needed more money," McGhee explained in a written and sworn statement. "As I was almost home at around 4:30 a. m., I passed by Nicole's house and decided to burglarize it for money."

At the time of the murder, the police discovered a garbage can outside a window with the screen cut and the window open and thought that was the likely entry. In his statement, McGhee did not explain how he got into the house, only that he "broke in."

Once inside, McGhee found a kitchen knife and "decided to use it for protection just in case." He then went into the living room and became scared but did not stop. He walked into the bedroom and "accidentally stabbed Tony in the heart."

"He didn't die right away," wrote McGhee, who was only 17 at the time of the murder. "He woke up screaming and kicking and I got scared and ran home."

Police discovered a large butcher knife lying near Guglielmo's body and correctly thought it to be the murder weapon. Then Port Chester Police Chief Joseph Krzeminski also said evidence indicated Guglielmo was stabbed in an adjacent room and staggered to the living room, which fits with McGhee's statement of events.

At the time, police thought the body temperature and the coagulation of the blood on the floor indicated the murder occurred earlier than the daughter had insinuated. "Upon viewing the evidence, it was determined that [the stabbing] had occurred perhaps as long as two hours before the 911 call," Krzeminski said.

Lawyer: daughter vindicated

The discrepancy in the police department's timeline of events and what the daughter told the police was one reason she remained a person of interest in the case. McGhee's confession, however, matches more closely with Nicole's version of events.

"Nicole Guglielmo was prematurely labeled a suspect in this case and suffered terribly over the last three years with people believing that she had actually killed her father," said one of her lawyers, John D'Alessandro. "Trying to come to grips with her father being murdered and then being accused of it-you can imagine what that would be on anyone, let alone a 14-year-old girl."

McGhee knew both the father and daughter, as shown by his use of their first names. During 2010 and early 2011, the Guglielmos lived in an apartment across the street from McGhee. They only moved to Mortimer Street in March of 2011.

McGhee, who is currently a state prisoner, is charged with two counts of murder in the second degree, class A-1 felonies, one count of burglary in the first degree, a class B felony, and one count of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree, a misdemeanor. The 20-year-old faces a maximum of 25 years to life in prison.

"Today's indictment was brought about through the efforts of Detectives Tom Munnelly and Chris Krzeminski," Conway said. Chris Krzeminski is the former police chief's son. "For three years they brought the same determination to the case that they did on day one. They never wavered in commitment to bringing Mr. Guglielmo's killer to justice."

McGhee's next court date is Thursday, Nov. 6 in Westchester County Court in White Plains.